Thursday, December 16, 2010

When It's All Worth It

Today I received a call back from the high school registrar, Linda. I'd left a message regarding my daughter's transcripts and needing to have them sent to a college where she is applying. She was very helpful and more than happy to get them off before leaving on winter break tomorrow. Then she told me a story that left me in tears.

Last year, when my husband was in Iraq, he had contacted her for help in securing a "stabilization." You can request one when you have a child who will be a high school junior during the time of your next scheduled military move. It ensures that you stay put until your child has graduated from high school. For those of you who know my husband, you know he has never met a stranger and always takes the time to have a friendly relationship with everyone. Linda filled me in.

Apparently, her father was a veteran. Well, that's all it took. My husband had a U.S flag officially flown over Iraq for her father. Then he had it sent to him, along with a personalized certificate. She told me, "You can never know how much that meant to him. When he received it, he raised it proudly with all of his family in attendance. He spoke of your husband, with tears in his eyes. Later, Taps was played. It is still proudly flying."

Now, my husband has been home for less than half of our marriage, because of his military service. But when I look back over these nearly 20 years, and I see how many lives he's touched through his service, I know that our family's struggles have been worth it.

I married a wonderful man, and I am so grateful for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment